Sophie Adelman things are a student opinion on NPR.
For a moment I mistakenly bought a wedding dress.
May, despite new statistics showing that married couples are now only 51 percent of the population, I would join that rare ... 1 days. So I'm on the phone to a friend wax poetic on her dress brought $ 2,000 listened, I thought, "Not you, Adelman -. Forget the dress! Think of all the alcohol can be purchased for an open bar"
Maybe it was my friend and his upcoming wedding, or just think for a twist of fate. But it was oddly casual find myself on that day in a forgotten corner of this high-fashion model, H & M. And there, on a shelf, a beautiful waterfall curtains cream. Simple but elegant. The last left. The Swedes have thought of everything!
So I tried it on. I graciously accepted the accolades of other buyers in the locker room. I was from a friend (the principal in the economy), they thought it sensible and supported financially responsible. I haggled a little lipstick stains and victorious from the princely sum of $ 30. But then I realized something.
I had a dress ... and less desirable.
I was almost going back. The idea of a wedding dress possible, as a talisman constant celibacy at the ripe age of 23, was appalling. Instead, I put it back in my parents' apartment, opened the door and announced: I've tried on my mother, who said: "I just impulse buying," "It's a beautiful dress, but will not be charge to your wedding. "
Sophie Adelman is working on her first novel. She lives in Washington, DC
There is much debate about marriage these days. Kate Bolick was the part of the Atlantic, "All The Single Ladies" in the death of traditional marriage. Book and Jeffrey Eugenides, Solar marriage, literary theory, intelligent graduate who profess to love and debit cards. Earlier this year I sat down to lunch with my college roommate, donuts and drink cups of Earl Grey Holiday at 4 hours as we watched Kate Middleton down the aisle.
But for millions of young college-educated women like me who can not understand the difficult act of marriage. We can of organic chemistry, but we know that the romance does not drink in glasses. Although they were too busy trying to deal with Introduction to Women and Gender Studies, which are always those who came before us said. We are grateful - but what to do with this inheritance? Gloria do not want to leave, but they are the generations after the game, and head are irritated with the bright light of modernity.
Is it too soon for marriage? Is it too late? I will say, a man who will drive me to marry the breadwinner?
I do not think these questions should be asked, much less answer.
Meanwhile, if you are near a leak, but far from the Swedish fast fashion, we might be able to help. I know a closet with a little white cheap wedding dresses that could be just perfect for a moment of madness, love, silly.


No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario